Monday, February 20, 2012

Make One Change Each Day..

I was driving somewhere yesterday and came to a corner at a stoplight and when I looked out the window, I saw a young man, standing with a keyboard in a box, not a case which all musicians who are really musicians have for their instruments; and he was staring at a brick wall talking on his cell phone, head moving back and forth, but eyes never leaving the brick facade.

My first reaction gave me a chuckle in that I was reminded of Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Train station in Harry Potter. I imagined this man on the phone to someone on "the other side", saying something like "I'm right where you told me to go! I am not seeing it. Do I knock three times on this wall to open it?" Oh wait, that is from the movie Beetlejuice...

And I thought, wouldn't it be nice, at this point in my life, to be able to step onto platform 9 3/4 and go to another place than the one I am in right now? Just for a change? A friend told me tonight at dinner that people our age have done most everything. Nothing is new. It's the same old, same old. So why not spice it up tomorrow and do something different? If your normal routine is get up, shower, read the paper, have a cup of coffee and go to work, then why not change one thing in that pattern?

Make one change each day. By the end of a week you would have made at least 7 changes. Two weeks, 14 changes. I can do that. Step out of the skin I've been wearing for a very long time and step into something else. Don't get me wrong, I love the skin I'm in. It's just time to add a bit more spice to the pot and stir it up a bit.

My sis and I used to take the heads off of our barbie dolls, line them up (Ken dolls were included too) and drop the heads on top of them. Whichever landed closest to the body became its new head and therefore, new personality. This caused a few problems for Ken, since we only had two of him and about 20 females.

So, I think it's time to toss my heads into the air (I have many from the many persona's I've embodied in my life) and see where they land. Then pop on a new view and head to Platform 9 3/4. Let the good times roll....

No comments:

Post a Comment