Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pondering Rabbits

Summer Solstice is this week.  We finally got rain so the parched lawn is groaning with delight.  We took the canoe out for the first time this year.  I know, very sad indeed, that it is mid June, coming up on the longest day of the year and today was the virgin ride.

The red canoe had been stored under a huge juniper in the back of the yard.  Upon moving it we noticed a nest that was carefully hidden there.  A perfect cave-like space for the rabbit nest that got away from me. 

I had successfully gotten one mama bunny to move her babies earlier this spring.  I missed this nest.  I assure you it won't happen again.  On the way out of the driveway, a small rabbit (the one that got away..) was sitting in front of the front stoop, staring at the address.  It didn't move.  They never do.  My yard is home to many of God's creatures that do not fear humans.

It looked like it was studying the address just in case it wandered too far from home, or in case its home was removed, as was the the red canoe house that was now pulling out of the driveway strapped to the roof of the car.

I can imagine mama rabbit telling her children, as Peter  Rabbit's mother told hers, how to be safe in a man's world.  This mama probably told the kids, "Remember, it's 538.  Look at those numbers.  538.  That is your home.  Memorize it.  If you get lost, just ask to be directed back to 538." 

So this teen bunny was staring at the number  and all I could think of was that it was saying to itself, "538, 538, 538, don't forget it 538, red roof (our red canoe), 538.

Ha!  The red canoe was now gone!  Maybe the bunny family will leave now.  Don't get me wrong.  I love bunnies.  I just wish they didn't love my garden as much.  Why must they love the tender new shoots of everything?  I've planted beans three times now.  And three times - mowed down.  New perennials bought and planted - mowed down.  Rose bush - mowed down.  This is getting expensive.
$538.00 is what it will probably cost to replace everything.

A thought:  My son had rabbit ravioli tonight for dinner.  And he really liked them.  Hmmm....  538.  Tender rabbit source for tasty ravioli.  Don't forget that address. 538, 538, 538, 538...

No comments:

Post a Comment