Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dear Universe

Dear Universe,
As I sit here working on a project I never imagined I would be working on, I am in constant awe of
how you work.  Secretly, behind the scenes, with or without my assistance, you keep me moving forward.  I don't know who is at the helm of my ship besides me.  I don't really care.  I believe I have an angel, a companion, a God, a whatever it is, that is in my corner, rooting me on.  My biggest fan is someone I don't even know.  Or do I?

It got me thinking of the spiral. In my continued fascination with spirals, I find myself at the end of another year.  I will finish school in another semester and the path that led me to is another amazing one which has led me to apply for a MA in Rehabilitative Counseling.  I have been "counseling: in my work for too many years now.  I may as well get a few letters after my name to prove I can accomplish the task I have already been doing.  Again, the spiral.  I am spinning back to where I once was, but now at a different angle, looking at it from a different perspective. It represents continual change and evolution and the interconnectedness of all things.

I found myself back again, dealing with an assault from 2008.  I participated in a criminal trial earlier this month.  That experience has yet to hit the paper from my pen.  It is still brewing.  Again.  In a different way, from a different view, or a different consciousness.  This newer consciousness emanating from this wildly different year (I went back to school after a 10 year hiatus.) is expanding outward (and inward) as spirals do.  I read this yesterday about this kind of spiral movement:

And when one contemplates such an infinitely regressing movement one begins to appreciate that the words 'first movement' doesn't even begin to express the beginning - that it's all an endless beginning - it's all a one act play - an infinitely recursive and enfolding one act play. Thus the 'first movement' is everywhere you look And soon you'll look up and see the same thing in every thing you look at until your view of reality begins to shift and with it meaning itself will take on a whole new meaning and on and on and on - beginnings enfolding endings which enfold another beginning until there's no more beginnings or endings and you just are. -Robert McCoy

If you look at a spiral in motion, it appears that it is moving from the outside in.  And if you look closely at the center, it appears to get larger as it spins.  Interesting if you think of the spiral as inward reflection.  As more wonderful things move in, your center becomes larger,  I think you can also say that as things move out from the center, it also leaves space to allow your inner most ideas to grow.  The inner core stays the same as the outer grows in size.   Any way you look at it, growth is always occurring, like it or not!  You can see for yourself here: 

So the same people, places, and things are always new, always beginning again.  From a different perspective.  You get to see them from all sides, angles, directions.  And sometimes, what you have been looking at for years starts looking different. So enjoy your life from all sides and angles this coming year.  I am excited to see what happens.  All I can do is jump on, strap myself in, and go for this grand ride of life.  Of course, my ride always consists of no brakes, just a wheel.  Which is very cool.  Happy New Year to every one!

Like a tunnel that you follow
To a tunnel of it's own
Down a hollow to a cavern
Where the sun has never shone
Like a door that keeps revolving
In a half forgotten dream
Or the ripples from a pebble
Someone tosses in a stream.

Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes on it's face
And the world is like an apple
Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind
-Sting

No comments:

Post a Comment