Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Abduction Chapter 2

“You’re making me nervous.  You have to calm down,” was his initial response to my escalating anxiety.  The knife was edging closer to me, shaking in his trembling hand.  Calm down, I thought, calm down.  How could he possibly expect me to be calm in a situation I could never have dreamed possible?  Oh, wait.  I did dream it.  For a moment, I scanned my memory for other dreams from my vivid imagination that might have come true, or worse, might still come to fruition.  Nothing presented itself for review.  Ok, I will try to calm down.  At my feet was a wood baseball bat.  I had been instructed to pick up my brother from practice at the park and drop him off at home before heading to the store.  He chose to hang out with his friends a while longer but shoved the bat on the floor next to me so he wouldn’t have to lug it home.  And now it was at my feet.  I wondered how I might navigate picking it up and thwacking my perpetrator in the head.  This would require a feat of physics never performed before.  The interior of my mother’s Cadillac Sedan de Ville was a little over four feet wide and a little less than seven feet long.  Put the nice comfy leather seat into the equation and there might be around two square feet of leg room on the passenger side, which was now where my feet and the bat resided.  I calculated the space required for me to pick up the 35-inch Louisville Slugger, level it over my head, and achieve a full swing, thus enabling the full thrust of its weight to knock out my new friend.  There is no way, I concluded.  I hadn’t even calculated the time it would take to perform this action into the equation.  Besides, if I were able to perform this physics feat successfully, I would then have an unconscious, full-grown man at the wheel of a four-door Cadillac Sedan de Ville.  I was picturing the wrath of Ma should this feat fail.  The alternative to his injury was a knife in my flesh, resulting in bloodstains all over her champagne leather interior.  My brain hurt.

            I would have to talk him out of his plans for me, which at that moment came out of his mouth as,   
           “I need a quiet place.  Where is a quiet, secluded place that we can go to?”
            The physics equation, my temporary composure, the dream reflection, was instantly replaced by visions of violent defilement. 
            “What did you say?” fell from my gaping mouth. 
            The problem with having a vivid imagination is just that:  vividness.  My mind was painting me flesh and red on shards of blue denim and green cotton, lying in pine needles on cool, soft earth ­– the vocalese of Red-winged Blackbirds and Red-breasted Nuthatches high above the evergreens, daylight filtering through green boughs –my muffled cries slowly dissipating as my breath waned, eyes darting to and fro, looking for some final bit of beauty to feast upon before heavy lids gave way to nothingness.
            No, I would have to talk him out of his plans.  I stepped out of the nightmare just envisioned to locate my bearings.  I have always thought we all possess an internal compass that guides us in a precise direction, or at least home.  While this was the last place I would ever want to go to, it was the first place that came out of my mouth.
            “Why don’t you just take me home?  You can have the car.  I live at 6721 Golf Road.  It’s just a little ways from here.  I don’t need the car.  Just let me go, please.”
            For a second I think I saw a hint of a smile at the corner of his mouth.  Or was it a nervous tick?  Either one would have been appropriate considering the ridiculousness of my requests.  I think the rules of kidnapping do not allow for victim requests or suggestions.  It did knock him off course from his first request of me.  So I continued.
            “Tell me something.  Do you have a family?  A wife?”
Without hesitation, he responded, “I am divorced and my kids don’t speak to me anymore....”
            “That’s too bad.”  That’s not so bad, I thought.  A halt to the incessant, ridiculous negotiations in my house would be a welcomed gift.
            “…but I do have family in Milwaukee.  How far is that from here?”
            “Probably two and a half hours from here.  Where are we?”  I had lost track of our location.  It was getting dark.  I needed to get my bearings again when he asked me,

            “Can you tell me how to get there from here?”
            “Right now?”
            “Yes, right now.”
            “Wait, you’re taking me with you?”
            “Come on, which way?”
            “I can’t go with you,” was the absurdity spewing through my teeth, “I have finals tomorrow!”

            He looked at me in absolute bewilderment.  I was breaking every rule in the kidnapping manual. 
...To Be Continued......
Chapter 1 Here - http://baubosgarden.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-abduction-chapter-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment