Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Comedy Tonite!

So I started my women's standup comedy class last nite. Eight women and one teacher. And I learned how to write my first joke. Do I think I'm funny? Well, my friends and family tell me so. I tend to be the prankster, the jokester of the group, the one who is willing to make fun of herself to get a laugh.
I thought about it after class as to how one becomes the class clown, the family comedienne. In my family, I now believe I used it to lessen the darkness that hung over the house. Or maybe it was to decrease the consequences of a punishment. Kind of like, divert the attention to a joke and I might not get in trouble. Or maybe it is used just to get attention.
I was told a long time ago (by a therapist) that people become therapists in order to understand their own dysfunctional families. It that the same with comedians? Laugh your way through the hard times?
All I know is that I have a lifetime of stories to now turn into comic sketches! That is sure to make the rest of my family a bit nervous! So here's to dysfunction! And all the fodder it creates! Let's see how it all fits into the rest of this class. I'm thinking corsets and comedy......

No comments:

Post a Comment